This naturally sweetened, green shamrock shake is a guilt-free, healthy version of the McDonald’s favorite. Protein-packed and only 14g of sugar, this shake is perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert!
Spring brings around wonderful memories of the special occasion that is the Shamrock Shake from McDonalds. We didn’t eat out much growing up, but we would make a trip every March to get the seasonal treat. As delicious as it was, and still is, the sugar packed dessert is often too much for me now. I’m all for enjoying things in moderation, but if you’re like me and want a less sugary way to satisfy that craving, I introduce you to my Shamrock Shake Healthy Copycat! It’s more of a smoothie than an actual milkshake, but semantics, am I right?
- Baby spinach: More tender and less bitter than full-grown spinach, it also gives you a boost of antioxidants with lots of other vitamins.
- Avocado: Along with the banana, it helps to give the smoothie that creamy, shake-like consistency, as well as being full of healthy fats and protein.
- Banana: The best fruit to use when you want to sweeten something up without adding sugar.
- Greek yogurt: Packed with more protein than your average yogurt, I use plain to keep the sugar content low, but you could use vanilla as well.
- Protein powder: I use my favorite vanilla whey protein powder, as the protein helps you keep you feeling fuller for longer, but you could use unflavored and a plant based powder to keep the drink vegan.
- Fresh mint: Using fresh mint sprigs is the key to the strong, sweet, minty flavor that mimics the shake from McDonalds.
How to Make a Shamrock Shake Healthy Copycat
Start your shamrock shake by getting out your blender and adding the baby spinach.
Then take out the pit of your avocado and add that on top.
Peel the banana and add it to the mix.
Then add in the Greek yogurt.
And the protein powder.
Next add the fresh mint sprigs, the more the better if you’re a fan of that strong, minty flavor.
Finish with ice or some water, depending on the consistency you like.
Then blend away until smooth! Add more ice or water to get the perfect finish.
Once blended, poor into glasses and enjoy your Shamrock Shake Healthy Copycat!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the green stuff in Shamrock Shake?
In McDonalds actual shake? Probably just food coloring. In mine it’s a mix of spinach, avocado, and real mint!
What is the flavor of a Shamrock Shake?
While some people think it might be lime, it’s mint! While McDonalds probably uses mint extract, this shake uses real, fresh mint sprigs.
How many calories are in a Shamrock Shake?
A true Shamrock Shake from the fast food king is 500 calories in a small. Mine comes in around 350!
More Sweet Treats
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
If you’re trying to avoid that drive-thru line this spring, my Shamrock Shake Healthy Copycat will be sure to satisfy that craving and help you hit your goals.
Your straw is waiting.
McDonald’s Shamrock Shake (Healthy Copycat)
This naturally sweetened protein shake is a guilt-free, healthy version of the McDonald’s favorite. Perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert!
Note: This is meant to serve as a meal. To lower calories, simply split the blender by four glasses instead of two.
Calories: 355kcalCarbohydrates: 41.3gProtein: 17.9gFat: 16.7gSaturated Fat: 4.8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 11.9gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 249mgFiber: 17.5gSugar: 14.4g