(Germany / France) 1896-1935.
Old-established makers of railway locomotives in Alsace-Lorraine, De Dietrich et Cie started to build motor cars under license from constructors such as Bollie, Vivinus or Turcat-Mary, at their Lunxville and Niederbronn plants.
From 1902 Bugatti worked as heir engineer at Niederbronn, where he designed a 5304cc four and a 50 hp racer with the seat behind the rear axle. In 1908 the marque name was changed to Lorraine-Dietrich. In 1909 they had a six-cylinder of 11,460cc, many four-cylinder models, from the small 12cv of 2120cc to the big 60 cv of 12,053cc, as well as a twin-cylinder 10 cv of 1060cc. The following year, a 3619cc six-cylinder 15 hp was introduced. Most of these cars were made right up to the war, excepting the twin-cylinder.
After the war, when Alsace became part of France again, Lorraine-Dietrich restarted production with the ohv 12cv of 2297cc and ohv 15 cv six of 3445cc, as well as the 30cv six (6107cc). The l5cv Lorraine was the backbone of production for many years, and eventually won Le Mans 24 Hours race.
Before business ceased, Lorraine introduced the sv 20cv six of 4086cc: it was a complete failure.